In 1956, probably in conjunction with the centennial of Wood County, Wisconsin, the
country schools in the county each wrote up a history of their school. Some
of the histories were apparently written by the students, some by the teachers, and
others by an adult of the community in which the school was located.
Some of these histories go into great detail and contain a lot of early information
such as who donated the land for the school, who the first settlers were in the community,
who the teachers and school board members were, and much more. Some of the
histories are very basic with few names or dates mentioned.
The original copy of these histories is located in the Archives of the University of
Wisconsin Library in Stevens Point, Wisconsin.
Emil Krause, a long time member of the Heart O' Wisconsin Genealogical Society, made a
copy of these histories and arranged them in two volumes, alphabetically by the name of
the school and also numbered the pages. These two volumes are located in
McMillan Memorial Library in Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. Emil also
created an index to those copies for the Heart O' Wisconsin Genealogical
Society in 1993. This is an on-line version of that index. The page number
references the page number of the hard copy at the library.
The links directly below take you to an index of the names in the 1956